My own recipe here using fresh salmon and chilli to add a little kick. Bread crumbs and shallow frying on both sides add a lovely crispy texture with a smooth and delicious Salmon Filling. I simply finish in the oven to cook all the way through.
for the fishcakes
- approx. 500 grams cold mashed potatoes
- 2 pieces of fresh salmon
- 15 grams unsalted butter (melted – if the mashed potato hasn’t got any butter in it)
- 1 fat pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Spring Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Fresh Red Chilli
- Pinch of Chopped Chives
- 1 large egg
This dish is so easy so lets get going
- Peel Potatoes and boiled with a pinch of salt until Soft
- Just before the Potatoes are boiled, add a culinder with the salmon pieces inside. Place on top of the pan with the boiled potatoes. Cover with foil and steam until the salmon is cooked.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to stand until all water is drained.
- Add the butter, the potatoes to the pan
- Flake the salmon into the pan with the Potatoes and mash lightly
- Add the salt and pepper, chilli powder, fresh chilli, spring onion, chives, beaten egg, lemon and mix
- Leave to set in a fridge for half hour
- Now take the mixture and shape into fish cakes. You can use a small pastry ring if you wish.
- Pop back into the fridge to set until ready to cook
For The breadcrumbs
- Fresh bread in popped into a food processor
- 1 Beaten Egg
- Dip the fishcakes in the egg and into the breadcrumbs untill coated
- Lightly shallow fry until golden
- Pop in the oven (180c) for 15 minutes until cooked
- Serve with Lemon and a tomato Salsa
Great for lunch or dinner